LABADIE MISSOURI CHAMBER OF COMMERCE

  Home

  About Labadie

  Map of Labadie


  News

  Events

  Member Benefits

  Members

  Links

  Contact

 

Labadie Selected for Great Streets Grant. Click for more information.

 

About Labadie

Labadie possesses all the special qualities of a small town. Churches, restaurants, bank, Realtor, mortgage lender, hair stylist, post office and a deli/market that also serves as the local hub are all within a few blocks of each other. United Methodist Church on Washington Street and Pilgrim United Church of Christ on Third Street are within walking distance of the main street. Labadie is home to Old Bethel Church. It was built in 1868 and was actively used until 1891, when the Methodist Church was built in Labadie. After that time, Old Bethel was just used for funerals and special occasions. It has never had electricity or running water.

An outstanding and dedicated fire department provides emergency service. There is a public elementary school in town or a private day school in nearby St. Albans. Whether your interest is horse farms or crop farming or just rocking on the porch, you can find it in Labadie.

Small town community spirit is shared at various times of the year. Fall is a special time in Labadie. As the leaves turn, you can take part in the Chili Cook-Off or Plow Days or the Halloween Bonfire. Christmas means it’s time for the Old Bethel Candlelight Christmas program, a treasured tradition for Labadie. Spring and summer offer their own activities including Labadie Days Picnic when the town celebrates with an old-fashioned parade, games, food, and fun for all. Check the news and events page for specific dates and times.

HISTORY
(compiled by Sandra Gurnow)
The town of Labadie (as it is spelled today), was established June 7, 1855. Flavius J. North is credited for platting out the Original Town of Labaddie. The land was originally a Spanish Land Grant given to Sylester Labbadie, Jr. in 1800.

Sylvester Labaddie, Jr. was born February 19, 1779. Sylvester Labaddie, Jr. married Victoire Gratiot. They had 3 children, the second of which was a son (who died at the age of 15 months.) Sylvester Labaddie, Jr. was in the milling business, and also engaged in the fur trade. The American Fur Trade on the Missouri River was started in 1807. Trading posts were needed along the Missouri River to keep the natives pacified and the river open to traffic. The St. Louis, Missouri Fur Company was organized between 1808-09.

Also with the name of Labaddie was Point Labaddie which was attempted to be settled as early as 1798, but the few inhabitants were driven away by Indians in 1801 or 1802. In 1824, it was called Point Labaddie, then sometime between 1824 and 1841 it was called Tucker's Gap (in 1841, it became Gray's Summit, and Gray Summit-which is south of Labadie) and Isle of Labaddie (an island at the mouth of Labaddie Creek in 1795.) With the many changes in the Missouri River there is no island there today.